Clio ( (listen)) is a city in Genesee County in the U.S. state of Michigan. The city is located entirely within Vienna Township, but is administratively autonomous. As of the 2010 census, the city had a population of 2,646.
Along with the rest of Genesee County, Clio is part of the Flint metropolitan statistical area.
The location was first settled in 1837 by Theodore P. Dean. Originally named Varna after the city's first grain buyer. Pere Marquette Railroad came through and put a station there in 1861. Its name was changed in 1866 to Clio, the muse of history.
On July 23, 2007, Governor Jennifer Granholm announced Clio as a community chosen by the Michigan State Housing Development Authority (MSHDA), to take part in the Blueprints for Downtowns program. Clio would receive a comprehensive, market-driven strategy toward developing an action-oriented downtown that would result in economic growth, job creation and private investments. The Blueprints for Downtowns award, were announced to be also received by the communities of Caro and Ypsilanti.