Coronado is a resort city located in San Diego County, California, USA, across the San Diego Bay from downtown San Diego. It was founded in the 1880s and incorporated in 1890. Its population was 24,697 at the 2010 census, up from 24,100 at the 2000 census.
Coronado is a tied island connected to the mainland by a thin strip of land called the Silver Strand. The explorer Sebastian Vizcaino gave Coronado its name and drew its first map in 1602.
Coronado is Spanish term for "crowned one," and thus it is nicknamed The Crown City. Its name is derived from the four off-shore islands, Los Guatro Martires Coronados (Spanish for "The Four Crowned Martyrs"). These other islands are still known as the Coronado Islands, and are now located within Tijuana Municipality of Mexico. Three ships of the United States Navy have been named after the city, including USS Coronado.
Coronado was incorporated as a town on December 11, 1890.