Covington is a city in Hill County in central Texas, United States. Located at the intersection of FM 67 and State Highway 171, 14 miles (23 km) north of Hillsboro, it is near the northern boundary of Hill County. It was founded by Colonel James Jackson Gathings, formerly of North Carolina and Mississippi, in the spring of 1852, and is named for his wife's family. Gathings secured about 10,000 acres (40 km2) of land in what is now Hill County, 100 of which were set aside for the new town of Covington. The population of Covington, 158 years later, was 269 at the 2010 census.
Covington is located in northern Hill County at 32°10′37″N 97°15′26″W (32.176850, -97.257104). State Highway 171 leads southeast 14 miles (23 km) to Hillsboro, the county seat, and northwest 15 miles (24 km) to Cleburne, while Farm Road 67 leads northeast 10 miles (16 km) to Interstate 35 and southwest the same distance to Blum.
According to the United States Census Bureau, Covington has a total area of 0.8 square miles (2.1 km2), of which 0.01 square miles (0.02 km2), or 0.78%, are water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 282 people, 111 households, and 79 families residing in the city. The population density was 339.8 people per square mile (131.2/km2). There were 122 housing units at an average density of 147.0 per square mile (56.8/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 90.78% White, 3.19% African American, 0.35% Native American, 2.84% from other races, and 2.84% from two or more races.