Crane is a town in Perry Township, Martin County, in the U.S. state of Indiana. The population was 184 at the 2010 census. The community is adjacent to the Naval Surface Warfare Center Crane Division.
Crane was originally known as Burns City Ammunition Depot, and under the latter name was founded in 1940. In 1943, the community was renamed Crane, in honor of William M. Crane, first chief of the Navy Bureau of Ordnance.
Crane is located at 38°53′34″N 86°54′5″W (38.892703, -86.901294). The town is situated in western Martin County, adjacent to the Martin-Daviess county line. The Naval Surface Warfare Center Crane Division occupies the areas east of Crane (a visitor center lies within the town). Indiana State Road 558 passes through the southern part of Crane, connecting the town with U.S. Route 231 to the west. Interstate 69 passes just north of Crane.
According to the 2010 census, Crane has a total area of 0.12 square miles (0.31 km2), all land.
As of the census of 2010, there were 184 people, 80 households, and 43 families living in the town.