Cromwell is a town in Middlesex County, Connecticut, United States located in the middle of the state. The population was 14,005 at the 2010 census.
The town was named after a shipping boat that traveled along the Connecticut River, which runs along Cromwell. The ship was named after Oliver Cromwell, Lord Protector of the Commonwealth of England. Other theories are that the town was named after the 1776 warship Oliver Cromwell, or named directly after the Lord Protector Cromwell.
The Roman Catholic Padre Pio Foundation of America is located in Cromwell.
The Evangelical Covenant Church's regional East Coast Conference offices are located in Cromwell.
Settlers first arrived in the area that is now Cromwell in 1651 Cromwell was originally a part of Middletown known as the Upper Houses, likely due to the fact that the Mattabesset River separated it from the rest of Middletown. In 1703, Cromwell formed a separate parish from the rest of Middletown due to the inconvenience of crossing the floodplains of the Mattabesset during certain seasons.