Danville is a town in Caledonia County, Vermont, United States. The population was 2,196 at the 2010 census. The primary settlement in town is recorded as the Danville census-designated place (CDP) and had a population of 383 at the 2010 census.
Danville was established on October 31, 1786, by the Vermont Legislature, making it one of the last towns to be created in Caledonia County.
The town was named for the 18th-century French cartographer Jean Baptiste Bourguignon d'Anville.
A Debtors' prison was located here in the late 18th to the early 19th centuries.
A thief in West Danville made national news in 2008 when he apologized for robbing a convenience store and left a roll of one-dollar bills to allow the store to open up the next morning.
The annual convention of the American Society of Dowsers is held in Danville.
In July 2017, the Charles D. Brainerd Public Library reopened in the village of West Danville, making the town once again home to Vermont's smallest library.
Danville School is the town's public school but is open to tuition students from surrounding towns. It serves preschool through grade 12, totaling to approximately 400 students. The school is located at 148 Peacham Road, Danville, Vt 05828 and is a part of the Danville School District. The school was established in 1990 to replace the North Danville School.
Danville is located west of St. Johnsbury, Vermont. Other towns bordering Danville are Barnet to the southeast, Peacham to the south, Cabot and Walden to the west, Stannard to the northwest, Wheelock to the north, and Lyndon to the northeast, touching Danville at a single corner. According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 61.1 square miles (158.3 km2), of which 60.7 square miles (157.3 km2) is land and 0.42 square miles (1.1 km2), or 0.67%, is water.