Dexter is a city in Stoddard County, Missouri, United States, founded in 1873. The population was 7,864 at the 2010 census.
Dexter was platted in 1873. Mr. Dex, an early settler, gave the community the name of his horse, Dexter. Dexter experienced rapid growth with the arrival of the St. Louis, Iron Mountain and Southern Railway. A post office called Dexter City was established in 1873, and the name was changed to Dexter in 1887.
The Dexter Gymnasium was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2001.
Dexter is located 19 miles (31 km) southwest of Sikeston. Dexter is located on what is known as Crowley's Ridge. It is at the intersection of U.S. Route 60 and Missouri Route 25.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 6.65 square miles (17.22 km2), of which 6.52 square miles (16.89 km2) is land and 0.13 square miles (0.34 km2) is water.
As of the census of 2010, there were 7,865 people, 3,359 households, and 2,108 families living in the city.