Elkhorn is a city in Walworth County, Wisconsin, United States. It is located 40 miles (64 km) southwest of Milwaukee. The population was 10,084 at the 2010 census. It is the county seat.
Elkhorn is located at 42°40′22″N 88°32′25″W (42.672900, -88.540342).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 7.81 square miles (20.23 km2), of which 7.76 square miles (20.10 km2) is land and 0.05 square miles (0.13 km2) is water.
In 1836, Colonel Samuel Phoenix spotted a rack of elk antlers in a tree and proclaimed the area as "Elk Horn."
The area's beauty and fertile soil led Daniel Bradley, his son Milo, and LeGrand Rockwell to create a community in the area. Its growth to a population of 539 led to the first town meeting in 1846. Elkhorn was designated county seat that same year because of its location in Walworth County.
In 1851, Elkhorn became the location of the Walworth County Fair, which is now hosted annually at the Walworth County Fairgrounds. The Walworth County Fair is the largest in Wisconsin after the Wisconsin State Fair.
In the 1870s, saline water from springs located in Elkhorn was believed to cure rheumatism.
Because the city places Christmas decorations around its center, Elkhorn has been called the "Christmas Card Town" since before World War II. This tradition is celebrated every year by an annual oil painting by local artist Jan Castle Reed. These watercolor paintings are turned into Christmas cards.
As of the census of 2010, there were 10,084 people, 3,801 households, and 2,514 families living in the city. The population density was 1,299.5 inhabitants per square mile (501.7/km2).