Farmington is a city in St. Francois County located about 75 miles southwest of St. Louis in the Lead Belt region in Missouri. As of the 2010 census, the population was 16,240. It is the county seat of St. Francois County. Farmington was established in 1822 as Murphy's Settlement, named for William Murphy of Kentucky, who first visited the site in 1798. When St. Francois County was organized, the town was briefly called St. Francois Court House and later renamed to Farmington.
William Murphy, arrived on the land west of the Mississippi River in 1798, when it was part of the upper Louisiana Territory and under Spanish rule.