Findlay is a city in and the county seat of Hancock County, Ohio, United States. The city metro area is often referred as The Greater Findlay Area. The second-largest city in Northwest Ohio, Findlay lies about 40 miles (64 km) south of Toledo. The population was 41,202 at the 2010 census. It is home to the University of Findlay. Findlay is one of two cities in Hancock County, along with Fostoria.
In the War of 1812, Colonel James Findlay of Cincinnati built a road and a stockade to transport and shelter troops in the Great Black Swamp region. This stockade was named Fort Findlay in his honor. At the conclusion of the war, the community of Findlay was born. The first town lots were laid out in 1821 by the future Ohio Governor Joseph Vance and Elnathan Corry.