Fortville is a town in Vernon Township, Hancock County, Indiana, United States. The population was 3,929 at the 2010 census.
Fortville is located in the northwest corner of Hancock County, Indiana at 39°56′5″N 85°50′50″W (39.934740, -85.847237). It is approximately 25 miles (40.23 km) northeast of Downtown Indianapolis, Indiana and is a part of the Indianapolis metropolitan area.
According to the 2010 census, Fortville has a total area of 2.91 square miles (7.54 km2), of which 2.90 square miles (7.51 km2) (or 99.67%) is land and 0.01 square miles (0.03 km2) (or 0.33%) is water.
Despite occasional droughts throughout central Indiana, Fortville has a steady and reliable supply of water because it is situated over a natural aquifer.
Fortville was originally called Walpole, and under the latter name was laid out and platted in 1849. It was named for Cephas Fort, the original owner of the town site. Fortville was incorporated as a town in 1865.
The historic Browne-Rafert House on Merrill Street was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2015.
As of the census of 2010, there were 3,929 people, 1,553 households, and 1,060 families living in the town. The population density was 1,318.5 inhabitants per square mile (509.1/km2). There were 1,705 housing units at an average density of 572.1 per square mile (220.9/km2).