Fredonia is a city in and the county seat of Wilson County, Kansas, United States. As of the 2010 census, the city population was 2,482. The town was founded in 1868, and saw considerable expansion in the early 20th century, with a fossil fuel boom.
Fredonia was laid out in 1868 near a large hillock located along the St. Louis & San Francisco Railway in southeast Kansas. It was named after Fredonia, New York. The first building on the town site was a general store, erected in 1868, on the southwest corner of the town square, soon followed by a simple courthouse and hotel. The first post office was established in August 1868. The Gold Dust Hotel was completed in 1885.
It became a booming town with an emphasis on large industry.