Fulshear ( FUUL-shər) is a city in northwest Fort Bend County, Texas, and is located on the western edge of the Houston–The Woodlands–Sugar Land metropolitan area.
The history of Fulshear is closely intertwined with the historical events leading up to the Texas Independence and eventual statehood within the United States of America. The small agricultural community traces its origins to the arrival of Churchill Fulshear, one of Stephen F. Austin's original Old Three Hundred. He moved from Tennessee to Texas in the summer of 1824 with his wife, Betsy Summers, daughter, Mary, and three sons, Benjamin, Graves, and Churchill Fulshear, Jr. As a man with considerable wealth and property, Churchill Fulshear Sr. obtained on July 16, 1824 a land grant from the Mexican government and Stephen F. Austin that allowed him and his family to settle in Austin's colony. Churchill established a slave plantation that raised cotton, corn, rice, pecans and livestock. Churchill Fulshear Sr. died on January 18, 1831 with the plantation ownership passed onto his youngest son, Churchill Fulshear, Jr. Churchill Jr added a cotton gin and flour mill which flourished well into the late 1880s.
During the Texas Revolution, Churchill Fulshear Jr.