Gearhart is a city in Clatsop County, Oregon, United States. The population was 1,462 at the 2010 census.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 1.91 square miles (4.95 km2) of which 1.90 square miles (4.92 km2) is land and 0.01 square miles (0.03 km2) is water.
The city is named for Phillip Gearhart, a settler who in 1848 set out from Independence, Missouri with his family and arrived in Oregon City in October of that year. He rented a log cabin on Clatsop Plains. At that time, other farmers had already settled primarily on the northern Plains. The first farmer to settle there was Solomon Smith. In 1851, Gearhart bought a squatter's right in the south Plains for a thousand dollars. He used it to create a 640-acre donation land claim; the US patent was granted in 1874. Gearhart increased his holdings by 537 acres in 1859 through a purchase from Obadiah C. Motley, and again in 1863 by 571 acres purchased from Jefferson J. Louk. The entire parcel encompassed all of what is now called Gearhart, as well as a portion of Seaside across the Necanicum River estuary.