Gladwin is a city in the U.S. state of Michigan. The population was 2,933 at the 2010 census. As of 2018, the population was estimated at 2,887. It is the county seat of Gladwin County. The city is at the southwest corner of Gladwin Township, but is politically independent.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 2.91 square miles (7.54 km2), of which 2.89 square miles (7.49 km2) is land and 0.02 square miles (0.05 km2) is water.
Gladwin county is named for Henry Gladwin, a British military commander at Detroit during Pontiac's War. The county was named in 1831 and organized in 1875. Gladwin had its beginnings in 1875 during the Michigan lumber boom. Situated on the Cedar River, the city was named Cedar until it was discovered that another Michigan town shared the same name. Thereafter, the city was named after the county.