Try a different search or click on nearby areas below.
The City of Glendale is a Home Rule Municipality located in an exclave of Arapahoe County, Colorado, United States. Glendale is an enclave of the City and County of Denver and is a part of the Denver–Aurora–Lakewood, CO Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 4,184 at the 2010 census.
Glendale's fire and medical services have been provided by the Denver Fire Department and Denver Paramedics through a contract by the City and County of Denver since 2005. Glendale is policed by the Glendale Police Department.
In 1859, the Territorial Road came down Cherry Creek Valley past the Four Mile House and through what is now called Glendale. The Four Mile House was one of the stage stops along the road, becoming a way station for freight wagons and a stock ranch.
The first documented use of the name Glendale was the Glendale Grange, which was organized in December, 1896 J.M. and Agnes Riddle helped to found and donated land for a new Grange Hall that was completed in 1897. In 1902, William Harold Baumert named his dairy the Glendale Farm Dairy which solidified the term Glendale which is now used to describe the community.
In the 1920's, the property at the northeast corner of Virginia Avenue and Colorado Boulevard was purchased; in 1933, a retail beer license was applied for and granted.d
A fossil was found in 1937 in the sands of the bed of Cherry Creek -- the first evidence of prehistoric animals. Later that year, an upper molar of a mammoth was found and donated to Denver's Museum of Natural History.
The first Organizational Meeting of the Trustees of the Town of Glendale was held May 20, 1952 The citizens of the Glendale community wanted their voices to be heard fearing annexation from their large neighbor Denver and the loss of independence.