Granite Falls is a town in Caldwell County, North Carolina, United States. The population was 4,722 at the 2010 census. It is part of the Hickory–Lenoir–Morganton Metropolitan Statistical Area.
The name Granite Falls comes from the waters that splash over the granite boulders spanning Gunpowder Creek. In 1791, pioneer Andrew Baird saw that he could operate an iron works beside the stream. In doing so, he became owner of all the land now occupied by the Town of Granite Falls. The community would live on from that point. Granite Falls was incorporated as a town in 1899. Before its incorporation Granite Falls went by many other names such as Baird's Forge, Catawba View, Lovelady, and Granite.
Granite Falls is located near the southern border of Caldwell County at 35°48′1″N 81°25′59″W (35.800345, -81.432929). It is bordered to the south by the town of Rhodhiss, to the southwest by Rhodhiss Lake on the Catawba River (Lake Hickory), and to the west by the town of Sawmills.