Try a different search or click on nearby areas below.
Greenup is a village in Cumberland County, Illinois, United States, along the Embarras River. The population was 1,513 at the 2010 census. It is part of the Charleston–Mattoon Micropolitan Statistical Area.
Greenup received its name from National Road surveyor, William C. Greenup who platted the town in 1834. He was one of the supervisors hired to oversee construction of the National Road in Illinois, surveying the original alignment from Marshall to Vandalia during the 1830s. The village of Greenup served as the Cumberland County seat from 1843 to 1857.
Greenup was platted in 1834, and served as Cumberland County's first county seat from 1843 to 1855.
Greenup is located southeast of the center of Cumberland County at 39°14′50″N 88°9′44″W (39.247273, -88.162131). The Embarras River is a tributary of the Wabash River which runs past the northwest corner of the village. U.S. Route 40 runs through the village to the south of its center, while Interstate 70 runs through the northern corner of the village with access from Exit 119 (Illinois Route 130). Effingham is 22 miles (35 km) to the west, while Terre Haute, Indiana, is 44 miles (71 km) to the east.