Hallsville is a city in Boone County, Missouri, United States. It is part of the Columbia, Missouri Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 1,491 at the 2010 census. Southeast of the town is Mount Zion Church and Cemetery, the site of the Battle of Mount Zion Church during the Civil War.
Hallsville was laid out in 1866. It was named for its first postmaster, Judge John W. Hall. The town was not platted originally, having grown naturally at a crossroads around a store and blacksmith. The Columbia Terminal Railroad platted the town of Hickman and installed a depot a half mile south, but Hallsville grew and Hickman did not. Colonel William F. Switzler reported that in 1882, Hallsville contained five stores, one harness shop and one blacksmith shop, but no church or school house yet. The population was 65. During the Civil War, on 22 September 1863, the Mount Zion Church east of Hallsville was burned by northern troops.