Hāna is a census-designated place (CDP) in Maui County, Hawaii, United States. The population was 1,235 at the 2010 census. Hana is located at the eastern end of the island of Maui and is one of the most isolated communities in the state. It is reached mainly via the Hāna Highway, a long, winding, 52-mile-long (84 km) highway along Maui's northern shore, via boat, and with commercial air service to Hāna airport.
Like most of Hawaiʻi, Hāna was probably first settled between 500 and 800 AD by Polynesian peoples.
The first sugarcane plantation in the area was established by George Wilfong in 1849, and by 1883 there were six plantations operating in the area. By 1946, however, the last sugarcane plantation had closed, leading plantation workers to move mostly to the west side of Maui. That same year saw the opening of the Kaʻuiki Inn, today known as the Hotel Travaasa – Hāna, which helped transition the economy towards tourism.
The winding, famously scenic Hāna Highway was completed in 1926. Originally paved with gravel, it provided the first land vehicle access to the town. Hāna's population peaked in the first half of the twentieth century, with a population of about 3,500.
Hāna is located at 20°46′12″N 155°59′39″W (20.770017, −155.994179), directly on the East rift zone of East Maui Volcano (Haleakalā). The Hāna Airport offers flights with regular service to the Big Island, Kahului, and Oʻahu.