Hayward is a city in Sawyer County, Wisconsin, United States, next to the Namekagon River. The population was 2,318 at the 2010 census. It is the county seat of Sawyer County. The city is surrounded by the Town of Hayward.
Hayward was "named for Anthony Judson Hayward, a lumberman who located the site for building a sawmill, around which the town grew."
Logging began in the late 1850s. Loggers came from Cortland County, New York, Carroll County, New Hampshire, Orange County, Vermont, Down East Maine in what is now Washington County, Maine and Hancock County, Maine. These were "Yankee" migrants, that is to say, they were descended from the English Puritans who had settled New England during the 1600s. They were mostly members of the Congregational Church. From the 1890s, immigrants came from a variety of countries such as Germany, Norway, Poland, Italy, Ireland, Czechoslovakia, and Sweden.
In 1901, the Hayward Indian Residential School was established in Hayward.