Herriman ( HERR-ih-mən) is a city in southwestern Salt Lake County, Utah, United States. The population was 21,785 as of the 2010 census. Although Herriman was a town in 2000, it has since been classified as a fourth-class city by state law. The city has experienced rapid growth since incorporation in 1999, as its population was just 1,523 at the 2000 census. It grew from being the 111th-largest incorporated place in Utah in 2000 to the 32nd-largest in 2010.
Herriman was established in 1851 by Henry Harriman, Thomas Jefferson Butterfield, John Jay Stocking, and Robert Cowan Petty. A fort was established where the community garden is today. The only remnants of Fort Herriman are the two black locust trees that stand where the entrance to the fort once was. The Fort was abandoned in 1857 as the Johnston Army came West.
Herriman remained a small community until 1999 when proactive citizens including Brett Wood and J. Lynn Crane went door to door asking people to sign a petition to be incorporated into a town.