Highland Park is a suburban city in Lake County, Illinois, United States, about 25 miles (40 km) north of downtown Chicago. As of the 2019 population estimate, the population was 29,515. Highland Park is one of several municipalities located on the North Shore of the Chicago metropolitan area.
In 1867, ten men purchased Highland Park for $39,198.70. They were the original stockholders of the Highland Park Building Company. Following construction of the Chicago and Milwaukee Railroad, a depot was established at Highland Park and a plat, extending south to Central Avenue, was laid out in 1856. Highland Park was established as a city on March 11, 1869, with a population of 500, and evolved from two settlements—St. John and Port Clinton. Highland Park was named from its parklike setting at a lofty elevation relative to the lake, and was given its name from Walter S. Gurnee. The town annexed the village of Ravinia in 1899.