Hobart is a city in Lake County, Indiana, United States. The population was 29,059 at the 2010 census. It has been historically primarily residential, though recent annexation has added a notable retail corridor to the city.
Hobart was platted in 1849.
George Earle, an English immigrant bought land from the Potawatomi Native American tribe, who built a dam on Deep River, creating Lake George. He named the settlement that later developed into Hobart, after his brother, Frederick Hobart Earle, who never left England.
The First Unitarian Church of Hobart, Hobart Carnegie Library Hobart Commercial District, and Pennsylvania Railroad Station are listed in the National Register of Historic Places. The Lake George Commercial Historic District is noted locally.
According to the 2010 census, Hobart has a total area of 26.705 square miles (69.17 km2), of which 26.33 square miles (68.19 km2) (or 98.6%) is land and 0.375 square miles (0.97 km2) (or 1.4%) is water.
Hobart is approximately 31 miles (50 km) southeast of Chicago.
As of the census of 2010, there were 29,059 people, 11,650 households, and 7,664 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,103.6 inhabitants per square mile (426.1/km2). There were 12,399 housing units at an average density of 470.9 per square mile (181.8/km2).