Hockessin is a census-designated place (CDP) in New Castle County, Delaware, United States. The population was 13,527 at the 2010 census.
Hockessin came into existence as a little village in 1688 when several families settled in the area. The village was named after the Lenape word hokesa, meaning pieces of bark. The first Roman Catholic church in Delaware was located in Hockessin. Missionary priests from Maryland established the Coffee Run Mission in 1790.
The A. Armstrong Farm, Coffee Run Mission Site, Hockessin Friends Meetinghouse, T. Pierson Farm, Public School No. 29, Springer Farm, and Wilmington and Western Railroad are listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978.
The community is near the northwest border of Delaware within 1.2 mi (1.9 km) of the Pennsylvania border on the east bank of Mill Creek.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 10.0 square miles (26 km2), of which, 10.0 square miles (26 km2) of it is land and 0.10% is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 12,902 people, 4,464 households, and 3,731 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 1,286.7 people per square mile (496.7/km2). There were 4,575 housing units at an average density of 456.3 per square mile (176.1/km2). The racial makeup of the CDP was 88.8% White, 2.7% African American, 0.2% Native American, 7.2% Asian, <0.1% Pacific Islander, 0.5% from other races, and 0.8% from two or more races.