Irondequoit is a town (and census-designated place) in Monroe County, New York, United States. As of the 2010 census, the coterminous town-CDP had a total population of 51,692. Irondequoit is a major suburb of the city of Rochester, lying just north and east of the city limits. The name is of Iroquois origin and means "where the land meets the water".
In 1687 Marquis de Denonville led an army of French soldiers and Huron warriors on a punitive expedition against the Iroquois through Irondequoit Bay, beginning the long enmity between the Iroquois and the French.
After the American Revolution, this area was part of the Phelps and Gorham Purchase. The Town of Irondequoit was founded in 1839 when it separated from the Town of Brighton.
During the last part of the 19th century, the north edge of the town was developed as a tourist and vacation area for the City of Rochester residents, and was once known as the "Coney Island of Western New York."
After World War II, Irondequoit experienced significant population growth, with returning veterans looking for housing. Irondequoit became the first suburb in Monroe County to see substantial migration of residents from the City of Rochester, with the population growing from 23,376 in 1940 to 55,337 in 1960, a remarkable 136% increase. Irondequoit remained the most-populated suburb in Monroe County until the 1970s, when it was surpassed by the Town of Greece, a community with three times the land area of Irondequoit.
In 1965, Irondequoit became part of civil rights history by being part of the first totally voluntary desegregation program in U.S. history.