Johnson is a town in Lamoille County, Vermont, United States. The population was 3,446 at the 2010 census. Johnson is home of Northern Vermont University-Johnson, a part the Vermont State Colleges system. The Vermont Studio Center is located in the village of Johnson.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 45.1 square miles (116.8 km2), of which 45.1 square miles (116.8 km2) is land and 0.02% is water.
According to Esther Munroe Swift's book "Vermont Place-names: Footprints of History" the town of Johnson is named for the American jurist, statesman and educator William Samuel Johnson. Johnson, Vermont and a part of neighboring Cambridge, Vermont were together known as King's College Tract being created by a royal charter of British King George III in 1774. The King's College Tract was reserved for the eventual expansion of Kings College in New York, today's Columbia University. After the Declaration of Independence, Vermont's Council of Censors granted the town to Johnson in 1785.
As of the census of 2000, there were 3,274 people, 1,170 households, and 669 families residing in the town.