Laurel is a town in Sussex County, Delaware, United States. The population was 3,708 at the 2010 census. Laurel is part of the Salisbury, Maryland-Delaware Metropolitan Statistical Area. It once hosted the Laurel Blue Hens of the Eastern Shore Baseball League.
The site of the town of Laurel was a Nanticoke Indian settlement known as Broad Creek Town during most of the eighteenth century. Its Nanticoke name is unknown. The Indian settlement was created on tracts known as Bachelor's Delight and Greenland in 1711 when the government of Maryland, who originally claimed this part of Delaware, set aside land for the Nanticoke Indians. Nearly all the Indian settlers left within 50 years, relocating to western Pennsylvania. The present town was laid out along the Broad Creek in the 1790s and was named for the laurel bushes that grew alongside the creek.
The Chipman Potato House, Chipman's Mill, Collins Potato House, Hearn Potato House, E. L. Hitch Potato House, Laurel Historic District, Moore Potato House, Old Christ Church, Phillips Potato House, Ralph Potato House, Rider Potato House, Ross Point School, Spring Garden, Stanley Potato House, and Wright Potato House are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
On March 29, 1929 the town was merged with the neighboring town of North Laurel which comprised most of the current town north of Broad Creek (then known as Laurel River). This merger was not properly reported to the United States Census Bureau, which resulted in the North Laurel's population not being included with the population of Laurel in the 1930 United States Census.