Macedon is a town in Wayne County, New York, United States. The population was 9,148 at the 2010 census.
The Town of Macedon is named after the birthplace of Alexander the Great, in Ancient Macedonia. It is located in the southwest corner of Wayne County and contains a hamlet also named Macedon, formerly an incorporated village. The town is east of Rochester and west of Syracuse.
Macedon took its name from the ancient Greek Kingdom of Macedon. The toponym Macedon is derived itself from the ancient Greek adjective μακεδνός (makednós), meaning "tall", possibly descriptive of the inhabitants of Macedon. It has the same root as the adjective μακρός (makros), meaning "long" or "tall" in Ancient Greek. The name is originally believed to have meant either "highlanders", "the tall ones", or "high grown men".
Prior to early settlement, the area in and around Macedon was home to the Seneca Nation, a tribe member in the Iroquois League.
The town land was acquired for settlement in 1788 from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts as part of the Phelps and Gorham Purchase. The first settlers, Webb and Hannah Harwood, arrived in 1789.
The construction and completion of the Erie Canal from 1817-1825 brought many new settlers to the area.