Macomb Township is a civil township within Metro Detroit in Macomb County in the U.S. state of Michigan. The township's population was 50,477 at the 2000 census. At the 2010 census, the population grew to 79,580, which ranks Macomb Township as the most-populated civil township in the state of Michigan. It is the third most-populated township in the state after the charter townships of Clinton and Canton.
The early founders of Macomb Township arrived in the early 19th century in search of flat and fertile farmland, like that near the Clinton River. Many of these early settlers were of German descent, and the German influences remain today. The Township of Macomb was officially approved by the Legislative Council on March 7, 1834.
The township was named in honor of General Alexander Macomb, who was a highly decorated veteran of the War of 1812; his successful mercantile family owned most of Macomb County at one time.
Macomb Township was also a large part of the lumber and logging industry of Southeast Michigan in the late 19th century and early 20th century. Logs would be transported south from Wolcott Mill in Ray Township, down the Middle Branch Clinton River to sawmills. This route became known as Romeo Plank, and is the name of the modern-day road that runs down the same route.
Macomb Township experienced significant growth during the period of 2000–2008, boasting a 48% increase in population.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 36.3 square miles (94 km2), of which 36.3 square miles (94 km2) is land and 0.04 square miles (0.10 km2) (0.06%) is water. The area is predominantly a mix of flat fertile land and swampy wetland, but beginning with the housing boom in the late 1990s, the area has been largely suburbanizing.