Maud is a town on the boundary between Pottawatomie and Seminole counties in the U.S. state of Oklahoma. The population was 1,048 at the 2010 census, a 7.8 percent decrease from 1,136 at the 2000 census. The town was named for Maud Stearns, a sister to the wives of two men who owned the first general store.
This community was established by 1890 on the dividing line between Oklahoma Territory and Indian Territory. In 1890, a barbed-wire fence was built along the street now called Broadway from the North Canadian River to the Canadian River to keep the Native Americans out of Oklahoma Territory. However, the fence failed to prevent the illegal sale of alcohol to residents of Indian Territory.
A post office was established on April 16, 1896. In January 1898, a mob lynched two Seminole teenagers, Marcus McGeisey and Palmer Simpson, by burning them alive near this same post office, in retaliation for their alleged murder of a white woman. Newspapers reported that the charred bodies remained chained to an oak tree for several days after the mob murdered them. Unlike in most lynchings, some members of the mob were actually convicted of participating in the violence. When one of these men was released from the federal penitentiary in Leavenworth in 1906, a celebratory crowd welcomed him home to Maud.
A railroad station was built by the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railway in 1903. The first newspaper, Maud Monitor, appeared in 1904, and the city was incorporated July 21, 1905.