Milford is a city within Coastal Connecticut and New Haven County, Connecticut, between Bridgeport, Connecticut and New Haven, Connecticut, United States. The population was estimated to be 53,195 in a July 2019 estimate. The city includes the Village of Devon and the borough of Woodmont. Milford is part of the New York-Newark Bridgeport, NY-NJ-CT-PA Combined Statistical Area.
This area was occupied by indigenous peoples for thousands of years. At the time of English encounter, it was territory of the Paugusset (an Algonquian-speaking tribe). English colonists affiliated with the contemporary New Haven Colony purchased land which today comprises Milford, Orange, and West Haven on February 1, 1639 from Ansantawae, chief of the local Paugusset. They knew the area as Wepawaug, named for the small river which runs through the town. Later the settlers named streets in both Milford and Orange as Wepawaug.
The settlers built a grist mill by the Wepawaug River in 1640, to take advantage of its water power.
During the Revolutionary War, the Milford section of the Boston Post Road, a vital route connecting Boston, New York and other major coastal cities, was blockaded by Continental forces, and Fort Trumbull was constructed to protect the town.