Millstadt is a village in St. Clair County, Illinois, United States, and a suburb of St. Louis, located at the crossing of Illinois Routes 163 (locally, "Jefferson Avenue") and 158 (locally, "Washington Avenue"). The village is known for its German heritage, with more than half its people of German descent. The population was 4,011 at the 2010 census, but a more recent study in July 2018 estimated the number at 3,885.
During a barn raising in 1836, it was proposed that a town be incorporated on land belonging to Henry Randleman. The name "Centerville" was proposed, as the site was equidistant from Belleville, Columbia, and Pittsburg Lake. The town was platted on March 13, 1837. In 1880, its name was changed to Millstadt, as the name Centreville was in use by another nearby town.
Another account (Millstadt School website): "The story of how Millstadt developed out of 'Centerville' goes something like this.