Mount Airy is a town in Habersham County, Georgia, United States. The population was 1,284 at the 2010 census, up from 604 at the 2000 census.
The Georgia General Assembly incorporated Mount Airy as a town in 1874. The town's name may be descriptive or a transfer from Mount Airy, North Carolina.
Lawton Place, a historic house once lived in by Ty Cobb, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Mount Airy is located in southern Habersham County at 34°31′03″N 83°30′22″W. It is bordered to the west by the city of Cornelia and to the south by Chattahoochee National Forest. The town sits on top of the Eastern Continental Divide, with Camp Creek, draining the northern half of town, flowing north to Hazel Creek and the Soquee River, a tributary of the Chattahoochee River, and ultimately the Gulf of Mexico, while the southern half of town drains to Nancy Town Creek, then the Middle Fork of the Broad River and eventually the Savannah River, which flows to the Atlantic Ocean.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 2.6 square miles (6.7 km2), of which 0.01 square miles (0.02 km2), or 0.31%, are water. At 1,539 feet (469 m) above sea level, Mount Airy is the highest point on the Southern Railway line between New Orleans and Washington, D.C.. This is confirmed by a US Geological survey marker located on the tracks just behind the City Hall.
As of the census of 2000, there were 604 people, 235 households, and 179 families residing in the town.