Mustang is a growing city in the southeast corner of Canadian County, Oklahoma, United States. It is part of the Oklahoma City Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 17,395 at the 2010 census, a 61.3 percent increase from 13,156 at the 2000 census. The city is now primarily known as a bedroom community for Oklahoma City.
The Mustang post office was established in 1895, but the town was not formally established until Charles G. Jones, former mayor of Oklahoma City, filed the plat in November, 1901. During that same year, the Oklahoma City and Western Railroad (acquired later by the St. Louis and San Francisco Railway (Frisco) built a line from Oklahoma City to Chickasha that passed through Mustang.
Mustang is located at 35°23′34″N 97°43′22″W (35.392644, -97.722905).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 12.0 square miles (31 km2), of which, 12.0 square miles (31 km2) is land and 0.04 square miles (0.10 km2) is water. The total area is 0.25% water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 13,156 people, 4,721 households, and 3,800 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,095.9 people per square mile (422.9/km2). There were 4,930 housing units at an average density of 410.7 per square mile (158.5/km2).