New Iberia (French: Nouvelle-Ibérie; Spanish: Nueva Iberia) is the largest city and parish seat of, Iberia Parish, Louisiana, United States. It is located 21 miles (34 kilometers) southeast of Lafayette.
In 1900, 6,815 people lived in New Iberia; in 1910, 7,499; and in 1940, 13,747. The population was 32,623 at the 2000 census and 30,617 in 2010, a decrease of 2,006, or 6.2 percent, over the previous decade.
New Iberia is a part of the Lafayette, Louisiana Metropolitan Statistical Area.
New Iberia dates from mid-1779, when a group of some 500 Malagueños colonists from Spain, led by Lt. Col. Francisco Bouligny, came up Bayou Teche and settled around what became known as Spanish Lake (because they were the first Europeans to settle here).
In 1814, a decade after the United States acquired the territory in the Louisiana Purchase, the federal government opened a post office here. It was officially known as "New Iberia," but postmarks of the time show that the town was being called "Nova Iberia" (with Latin for "new"). The town was incorporated as "Iberia" in 1839; the state legislature resolved the situation in 1847, naming the town New Iberia.
During the American Civil War, New Iberia was occupied by Union forces under General Nathaniel P. Banks.