Newbury is a town in Merrimack County, New Hampshire, United States. The population was 2,072 at the 2010 census. Newbury is home to part of Lake Sunapee, including Mount Sunapee State Park Beach. Mount Sunapee Resort, a ski area in Mount Sunapee State Park, is in the west. The town includes the villages of Blodgett Landing and South Newbury.
Situated at the south end of Lake Sunapee, this town has gone through numerous name changes. It started in 1753 as "Dantzic", after the Baltic seaport. The first provincial grant in 1754 named the town "Hereford", in honor of Edward Devereaux, Viscount Hereford. Colonial Governor John Wentworth renewed the grant in 1772 under the name "Fishersfield", for his brother-in-law, John Fisher. The town was finally incorporated as "Newbury" in 1837, as suggested by settlers originally from Newbury, Massachusetts.