Newport is a town in Orleans County, Vermont, in the United States. The population was 1,511 at the 2000 census. The town is referred to by the United States Postal Service and the media as Newport Center, the name of the main settlement of the town.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 43.5 square miles (112.6 km2), of which 41.7 square miles (108.0 km2) is land and 1.8 square miles (4.6 km2) (4.07%) is water.
Most of the population resides in the unincorporated village of Newport Center, located roughly in the geographic center of town. The town also contains a smaller, secondary settlement, South Newport, located in the southern part of town.
Newport was formed on October 26, 1781, and chartered under the name of Duncansboro, to George Duncan, Nathan Fisk, and sixty-three others on October 30, 1802. Amos Sawyer, Enos Bartlett, James C. Adams were the first town selectman. Amos Sawyer was also the first Town Clerk. These were among the first settlers of Duncansboro. The name was altered from Duncansboro to Newport, October 30, 1816.
The first clearing, which began where Newport Center now is, was made by H. & A. Adams and D. & S. Meacham.