Newport is a city and the county seat of Orleans County, Vermont, United States. As of the 2010 Census, the city population was 4,589. The city contains the second-largest population of any municipality in the county (only neighboring Derby is larger), and has the smallest geographic area. It is the second-smallest city by population in Vermont. Newport is also the name of a Town in Orleans County.
Newport was founded by European Americans as a settlement in 1793 and was first called Pickeral Point. It was the place where Rogers' Rangers retreated to in 1759, during the French and Indian War (or Seven Years War between the French and British).
In the 19th century, the village was stimulated by construction of the railroad here in 1863, during the American Civil War. The lumbering firm Prouty & Miller operated here from 1865. Long after the post-war Reconstruction era, the village was the site for a Reunion Society of Vermont Officers in 1891.