Newton is a town in Rockingham County, New Hampshire, United States. The population was 4,603 at the 2010 census.
The sixth town to be granted from the Masonian land purchase of 1746, Newton was originally part of Salisbury, Massachusetts; later, part of Amesbury, Massachusetts; then part of the West Parish of Amesbury; then part of New Town or South Hampton, Massachusetts (now South Hampton, New Hampshire). A number of the residents felt they were too far away from its church for their convenience, and the town was incorporated by Colonial Governor Benning Wentworth as Newtown in 1749, simply because it was a new town. In 1846, the New Hampshire legislature voted to contract the name to Newton.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 10.1 square miles (26.2 km2), of which 9.9 sq mi (25.6 km2) is land and 0.2 sq mi (0.5 km2) is water, comprising 1.59% of the town. The highest point in Newton is the summit of Brandy Brow Hill, at 289 feet (88 m) above sea level, located directly upon the southern corner of the town.
Villages or place names in the town include Newton, Newton Junction, Rowes Corner, Sargent Corners, and Crane Crossing.
As of the census of 2000, there were 4,289 people, 1,518 households, and 1,170 families residing in the town. The population density was 433.0 people per square mile (167.1/km²). There were 1,552 housing units at an average density of 156.7 per square mile (60.5/km²).