Pelahatchie is a town in Rankin County, Mississippi. The town's population was 1,334 at the 2010 census. It is part of the Jackson, Mississippi Metropolitan Statistical Area. Its zip code is 39145.
Pelahatchie was founded in 1850, and named after Pelahatchie Creek. The name Pelahatchie is derived from the Native American term meaning "crooked creek". The town was the bright spot in the county during the late 1800s mainly due to the railroad access in the heart of town. Pelahatchie is home to both a public school, Pelahatchie Attendance Center (Chiefs), and a private school, East Rankin Academy (Patriots).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 3.2 square miles (8.3 km2), all land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,461 people, 525 households, and 387 families residing in the town.