Philip is a town in and the county seat of rural Haakon County, South Dakota, United States. The population was 779 at the 2010 census.
Philip was laid out in 1907 when the Chicago and North Western Railway was extended to that point. It was incorporated in 1908. In 1914, Philip was designated seat of the newly formed Haakon County. The city was named for James "Scotty" Philip; the local high school mascot is the Scotch terrier, or "Scottie", in his honor.
Agriculture is the primary industry in Philip. Businesses include two grain elevators, a livestock auction, veterinary clinic, and numerous other businesses providing goods and services related to the farms and ranches surrounding the community.
Philip is also home to Scotchman Industries, a manufacturer of metal fabrication machinery (hydraulic ironworkers, circular cold saws, band saws, tube & pipe notchers & measuring systems). The hospital and school are other major sources of employment within the community.