Philippi (pronounced 'FILL-uh-pea') is a city in — and the county seat of — Barbour County, West Virginia, United States. The population was 2,966 at the 2010 census. In 1861, the city was the site of the Battle of Philippi, known as the, "Philippi Races." Although a minor skirmish, this is considered the earliest notable land action of the American Civil War.
For over a century, Philippi has been home to Alderson Broaddus University, a four-year liberal-arts school affiliated with the American Baptist Churches.
The city has a weekly newspaper, The Barbour Democrat.
Philippi is located along the Tygart Valley River at 39°9′6″N 80°2′36″W (39.151569, -80.043472). It is within Philippi District — one of eight magisterial districts of Barbour County. The town is sub-divided into Wards 1 through 4.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 2.95 square miles (7.64 km2), of which, 2.86 square miles (7.41 km2) is land and 0.09 square miles (0.23 km2) is water.
The original settlement that became the town of Philippi was on a section of bottomland at a bend in the river at the mouth of Anglin's Run. (This area was later designated "Dayton Park".) Opposite this bottomland, at the western landing of "Booth's Ferry", is a sharp ridge which breaks abruptly down to the river and is still known as "Nobusiness Hill".