Princeville is a 9,000-acre (3,600 ha) unincorporated area of master-planned homes and condos on the north shore of the island of Kauai in Kauai County, Hawaii, United States. The population was 2,158 at the 2010 census, up from 1,698 at the 2000 census.
Princeville is bordered to the east by Kalihiwai, to the west by Hanalei, and to the north by the Pacific Ocean. It is the northernmost settlement in the state of Hawaii. For statistical purposes, the United States Census Bureau has defined Princeville as a census-designated place (CDP). The census definition of the area may not precisely correspond to local understanding of the area with the same name.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the Princeville CDP has a total area of 2.5 square miles (6.4 km2), of which 2.4 square miles (6.2 km2) are land and 0.1 square miles (0.2 km2), or 2.60%, are water.
This region was part of the Crown Lands following the Great Māhele. There was no private property prior to the Māhele, but in 1842 the land had been leased by the governor of Kauai to Godfrey Rhodes and John Bernard for a coffee plantation and this lease of Crown Lands was sold to Robert Crichton Wyllie in 1853. The area was named in honor of an 1860 visit by Prince Albert Kamehameha, son of King Kamehameha IV and Queen Emma. It was then a plantation leased by Robert Crichton Wyllie.