Try a different search or click on nearby areas below.
Rohrersville is a census-designated place (CDP) in Washington County, Maryland, United States. The population was 175 at the 2010 census.
The first settlers to arrive in the vicinity of Rohrersville began to survey land tracts in the 1730s. "Park Hall," a tract of 1,550 acres, encompassing the present village of Rohrersville, was patented in 1732 by William Parks, and resurveyed in 1766 to Alexander Grimm.
In 1747, Frederick Rohrer, a Mennonite from Germany, arrived in Philadelphia with his two oldest sons Samuel and Martin and the rest of his family. Frededick purchased property just east of Hagerstown from his brother Jacob, who had emigrated some years earlier. Their property was where Trovinger's Mill is now located. In 1763, Frederick's son Samuel bought three large tracts of land just north of Rohrersville at the same time John Rohrer of Lampeter, PA (perhaps a cousin?) bought the adjacent property, known as Piney Hills or Pennyhill. These properties are roughly bounded by Rohrersville Road (Rt. 68), Marble Quarry Road, Millbrook Road and Elk Ridge.
By the mid 1790s, most of Samuel's children had left the area, but two of his sons, John and Frederick, remained, as did Capt. John M. Rohrer, grandson of the John Rohrer who had purchased Piney Hills.