Romney is a city in and the county seat of Hampshire County, West Virginia, United States. The population was 1,848 at the 2010 census.
Established by consecutive acts of the Virginia House of Burgesses and approved by the governor on December 23, 1762, Romney and Mecklenberg (later renamed Shepherdstown), in Jefferson County, are the oldest towns in West Virginia. The bill containing the Act for establishing the town of Romney, in the county of Hampshire, and for other purposes therein-mentioned, is listed 20th on a list of approved "publick and private bills" and is immediately followed by An Act for establishing the town of Mecklenburg, in the county of Frederick.
Originally settled in 1725 by hunters and traders, Romney was known as Pearsall's Flats and was the site of the French and Indian War stockade Fort Pearsall. Named for the Cinque Ports town of Romney, Kent, England by Thomas Fairfax, 6th Lord Fairfax of Cameron, the town still bears place names and symbols from its colonial past such as its Marsham Street, named for Robert Marsham, 2nd Baron Romney. It is also home to the West Virginia Schools for the Deaf and Blind and the nation's First Confederate Memorial in Indian Mound Cemetery.
Romney is located at 39°20′42″N 78°45′25″W (39.344915, -78.756960).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 0.96 square miles (2.49 km2), all of it land.
The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally cold winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Romney has a humid continental climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps.
Romney is served by two primary highways, the most prominent of them being U.S. Route 50. US 50 heads eastward from Romney towards Winchester and Interstate 81. To the west, US 50 intersects U.S. Route 220, climbs the Allegheny Front, briefly enters Garrett County, Maryland, and then returns to West Virginia, eventually reaching Grafton. The other primary highway serving Romney is West Virginia Route 28, which heads southward towards Moorefield and north towards Cumberland, Maryland and Interstate 68.