Rupert is the county seat and largest city of Minidoka County, Idaho, United States. It is part of the Burley Micropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 5,554 at the 2010 census.
Rupert, founded in 1906, sprung up after the announcement of the Minidoka Reclamation Project, which provided irrigation and electricity following the completion of the Minidoka Dam in 1906. Electricity was plentiful after the building of the dam and led to Rupert being one of the first cities in the world to have its streets lighted by electricity.
Rupert is located at an elevation of 4,157 feet (1,267 m) above sea level. It is part of the agricultural region of the Snake River Plain known as Magic Valley, and is a few miles north of the Snake River. Interstate 84 passes a few miles to the south, and before its construction, U.S. Route 30 passed through Rupert. Acequia lies about 5 miles (8 km) northeast of Rupert and Paul is about the same distance to the west.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 2.09 square miles (5.41 km2), all of it land.
These data are from the Western Regional Climate Center, compiled over the years 1906 to 2002.
As of the census of 2010, there were 5,554 people, 2,026 households, and 1,397 families living in the city. The population density was 2,657.4 inhabitants per square mile (1,026.0/km2).