Seymour is a town located in western New Haven County, Connecticut, United States. The population was 16,540 at the 2010 census. Seymour is surrounded by the communities of Ansonia and Derby to the southeast, Beacon Falls to the north, Woodbridge to the east, and Shelton and Oxford to the west.
Seymour was incorporated as a town in May 1850, and was named for Governor Thomas H. Seymour.
The area that now encompasses the lands of the town was originally part of the town of Derby. The downtown portion of what is now Seymour was eventually called Humphreysville, named after Revolutionary War hero David Humphreys, aide-de-camp to General George Washington. Humphreys had purchased a factory in what is the downtown portion of the town, which produced scythes and other tools as well as wool products from the sheep he had imported.
In 1836, Humphreysville was incorporated as a borough within the town of Derby by the General Assembly. Upon the creation of the town of Seymour in 1850, the borough government was dis-incorporated.
The Town of Seymour, CT has its own police department, 2 fire companies, and an ambulance association.
The Police Chief is Paul Satkowski. The Police Department currently operates out of its headquarters located at 11 Franklin Street.