Shiloh is a borough in Cumberland County, New Jersey, United States. It is part of the Vineland-Millville-Bridgeton Primary Metropolitan Statistical Area for statistical purposes. As of the 2010 United States Census, the borough's population was 516, reflecting a decline of 18 (-3.4%) from the 534 counted in the 2000 Census, which had in turn increased by 126 (+30.9%) from the 408 counted in the 1990 Census.
Shiloh was incorporated as a borough by an act of the New Jersey Legislature on April 9, 1929, from portions of Hopewell Township and Stow Creek Township, based on the results of a referendum held on May 16, 1929. The borough was named for the Civil War Battle of Shiloh.
It is a dry town, where alcohol cannot be sold, though alcohol is available at the winery in the borough.
The settlement of Shiloh was founded in 1705 by Robert Ayars. He brought over 2,000 Seventh Day Baptistss from Rhode Island to be free of religious persecution. Known as Cohansey Crossing when a church was formed in the area in 1737, the name Shiloh was adopted in 1771.
When Cumberland County, New Jersey was formed in 1748, the community of Shiloh was divided between Hopewell Township and Stow Creek Township.
As part of a political battle over the site of the county seat for Cumberland County, Columbia Township was formed on March 12, 1844, from portions of Hopewell and Stow Creek Townships; the short-lived municipality included all of present-day Shiloh, in addition to extensive additional land, but all was returned to its original home when Columbia Township was dissolved on March 11, 1845, surviving as an independent municipality for a day short of one year.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the borough had a total area of 1.209 square miles (3.129 km2), including 1.208 square miles (3.128 km2) of land and 0.001 square miles (0.002 km2) of water (0.05%).
Shiloh borders Hopewell Township and Stow Creek Township.
The 2010 United States Census counted 516 people, 198 households, and 138.006 families in the borough. The population density was 427.3 per square mile (165.0/km2). There were 214 housing units at an average density of 177.2 per square mile (68.4/km2). The racial makeup of the borough was 93.80% (484) White, 1.74% (9) Black or African American, 2.33% (12) Native American, 0.19% (1) Asian, 0.00% (0) Pacific Islander, 0.58% (3) from other races, and 1.36% (7) from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 4.07% (21) of the population.
The 198 households accounted 27.8% with children under the age of 18 living with them; 51.0% were married couples living together; 14.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 30.3% were non-families.