Spencer is a city in Oklahoma County, Oklahoma, United States, and a part of the Oklahoma City metropolitan area. The population was 3,912 at the 2010 census.
Established in 1903, the City of Spencer is a historic community located just east of the North Canadian River. Spencer is approximately ten miles from downtown Oklahoma City and borders the City of Nicoma Park to the east and the City of Midwest City to the south.
Contributing to the cultural fabric of Spencer are the Spencer Chamber of Commerce, the Spencer Garden Club, and the Spencer Historical Society.
The region where Spencer was developed was opened to settlement in the Land Run of 1889. Louis F. and Henry W. Kramer, businessmen originally from Spencer County, Indiana, first arrived in Guthrie in 1889 and then moved to Oklahoma City.
Originally an agricultural area, Spencer grew after World War II with the nearby General Motors Assembly Plant and Tinker Air Force Base offering employment.
CPT Riley L. Pitts, the first black commissioned officer to receive the Medal of Honor, is buried in Spencer's Hillcrest Memory Gardens. Captain Pitts was a graduate of Wichita University (now Wichita State University.)
Spencer is located at 35°30′28″N 97°22′14″W (35.507760, -97.370662).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 5.3 square miles (14 km2), all of it land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 3,746 people, 1,420 households, and 1,002 families residing in the city. The population density was 701.0 people per square mile (270.9/km2). There were 1,567 housing units at an average density of 293.3 per square mile (113.3/km2).